|ConnectR||Consumer||None||Features Wi-Fi, a video camera, a speaker, a microphone, and Internet phone capabilities. The ConnectR is intended for calling family members or monitoring pets, with the visibility of a web cam.|
|PackBot with iCX Detection||Defense||iCX Technologies||The iCX technology is used to detect explosives and the on-board capabilities allow destroying the IEDs.|
|PackBot 501 with TASER Stun-Guns||Defense||TASER||Adds ability to control dangerous suspects while keeping personnel, the suspect and bystanders out of harm's way.|
|FCS SUGV||Defense||Boeing||Future Combat Systems (FCS) Small Unmanned Ground Vehicle (SUGV). A portable, reconnaissance and tactical robot that can enter and secure areas that are either inaccessible or too dangerous for soldiers.|
|Warrior||Defense||Technical Support Working Group (TSWG) funded||Next generation force multiplier - bomb disposal, re-supply, route clearance, perimeter petrol, and surveillance.|
iRobot also has several research initiatives, of which some are bound to fetch returns in the long-run. The consumer side of the business has explosive growth potential. Good execution is chiefly dependent on building brand awareness and doing away with the perception of an early adopter type product in the market space. Partnerships in the consumer space that parallels the defense space approach should facilitate the company getting there in a higher gear.
The competitive landscape is crowded with more powerful rivals even though the company has a head start in some areas. Below is a list of their primary competitors taken from their annual report:
- Developers of robot floor care products such as AB Electrolux, Alfred Ka¨rcher GmbH & Co., Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., LG Electronics Inc., Infinuvo/Metapo, Inc, Matsutek Enterprises Co Ltd. and Yujin Robotic Co. Ltd.;
- Developers of small unmanned ground vehicles such as Foster-Miller, Inc. —a wholly owned subsidiary of QinetiQ North America, Inc., Allen-Vanguard Corporation, and Remotec — a division of Northrop Grumman Corporation; and
- Established government contractors working on unmanned systems such as Lockheed Martin Corporation, BAE Systems, Inc. and General Dynamics Corporation.
1. iRobot (IRBT) - Part 1 - Introduction.
2. iRobot (IRBT) - Part 2 - Business Issues.
3. iRobot (IRBT) - Part 3 - Outlook.