The first stamps of Burkina Faso were a set of twenty eight stamps (Scott #1 to #28) released between 1920 and 1928 in the “Camel with Rider” design. The set were ‘HAUTE-VOLTA’ overprints in Black or Red on Upper Senegal & Niger stamps of 1914 to 1917. The set catalogs for around $20 MNH or Used. A few other overprints & surcharges of the same design were issued until around 1927. Valuations for these stamps are in the same range. Varieties with double surcharges and overprint omissions command a good premium. The first original issues were a long definitive set (Scott #43 to #65) of twenty three stamps in the ‘Hausa people’ theme released in 1928. The designs show ‘Hausa Chief’, ‘Hausa Woman’, and ‘Hausa Warrior’. The set catalogs for around $65 MNH or Used.
Below are other relevant stamp issues of Burkina Faso over the years:
- A stamp (Scott #70) released in 1959 to mark the first anniversary of the proclamation of the Republic. The design shows Council President Ouezzin Coulibaly who died the previous December. The stamp is affordable at around 50c MNH or Used. The issue was followed by a long set (Scott #71 to #88) of eighteen stamps released in 1960 in the ‘Animal Masks’ theme. The set catalogs for around $10 MNH and $6 Used. The designs show Deer Mask & Deer, Wart Hog, Monkey, Buffalo, Antelope, Elephant, and Secretary Bird.
- A set of six stamps (Scott #97 to #102) released on June 30 1962 showing forest reservations and its animals. The designs show Buffaloes at Water Hole, Lions, Defassa Waterbuck, Arly Reservation, Diapaga Reservation, and Buffon’s kob. The set catalogs for around $10 MNH and $6 Used.
- A set of six stamps (Scott #244 to #249) released on June 30 1971 in the Butterflies and Moths theme. The beautiful set catalogs for around $25 MNH and around $5 Used. It features Hamanumida Daedalus, Ophideres Materna, Danaus Chyrsippus, Hypolimnas Misippus, and Danaus Petiverana.
- A set of six stamps (Scott #263 to #268) released between 1971 and 1972 in the “Upper Volta Houses” theme. The designs show Peulh House, Gourounsi House, Mossi Houses, Bobo House, Dagari House, and Bango House. The set catalogs for around $4 MNH and around half that for Used.
- A set of four stamps (Scott #501 to #504) released in June 1979 to mark the one-hundredth anniversary of the death of Sir Rowland Hill, the originator of postage stamps. The design shows Trains & Upper Volta with Sir Rowland Hill in the inset. The set catalogs for around $8 MNH and $3 Used. There is also a souvenir sheet (Scott #505) and that catalogs for around $5 MNH and $2 Used.
- A set of seven stamps (Scott #732 to #738) released on July 23 1985 in the ‘Locomotives’ theme. The designs show Electric Tank Wagon, Diesel Shunting Locomotive, Diesel Locomotive, Diesel Railcar, No. 6093, No. 105 Diesel Railcar, and Diesel Passenger Car. The set catalogs for around $12 MNH and $2 Used.
- A set of two stamps (Scott #955 & #956) released on July 15 1993 to mark the philatelic exhibition in Paris. The set catalogs for around $10 MNH and $4 Used. The design shows Paris landmarks.
- A long series of stamps (individual sets, sheets of six, and souvenir sheets) released in October 1998 in the Birds and ‘Butterflies & Moths’ themes. The entire set of close to fifty stamps (Scott #1098 to #1103, #1104a-i, #1105a-I, #1106-1107, #1108a-i, #1109a-i, and #1110 to #1113). This is a very collectible and beautiful set. The whole set catalogs for around $60 MNH and around half that for Used.
Last Updated: 07/2011.